More of an insurance agency telling you about food? You bet! Since everyone cooked so much during quarantine, we wanted to make sure we shared our most delicious creations with our clients so they can reap the benefits.
Did you try to get a basic item like flour or yeast in the height of the pandemic only to be met with disappointing empty shelves? Us too! The good news is, most stores are beginning to improve inventory so you should have no trouble getting necessary ingredients!
Adapted from this recipe, sweet potato gnocchi with a simple butter-herb sauce is absolutely delicious. It’s slightly sweet but super savory and umami from the sauce. I wouldn’t call it simple because there are a lot of steps, but the outcome is well worth the time. Plus, you’ll have about six servings. We also added mushrooms to add a “meatiness”. You will need:
Three-four medium sweet potatoes
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 5 sprigs of thyme (we used dry)
- Fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
Saute the mushrooms separately in butter or oil!
- Preheat oven to 375. Wash/prep your potatoes by pricking then with a fork.
- Cook them on the rack for about an hour until they are soft
- Cool the potatoes, peel, and mash them. We used a hand mixer.
- Add the potatoes, cinnamon, and salt to a bowl and start adding flour gradually. Make sure it is fully mixed after each addition.
- Knead the dough until it’s no longer sticky on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough into four small sections and knead each as you work with them. Begin to form long “logs” with each section. While you are doing this, begin boiling water.
- Cut little pieces of the log off to form the gnocchi pieces, these should be around 1 inch. Do this with each section of the dough.
- Once water is boiling, place the gnocchi in batches so they don’t stick together. They will float to the top when ready, it only takes around three minutes.
- Place in a colander and continue until all the gnocchi is cooked.
- Place the butter in a skillet and heat it until melted. Add the herbs and then the gnocchi and cook until everything is a delicious mix. Add the cooked mushrooms. We served with nutritional yeast and garlic powder sprinkled on top!